Fruity Apple Coconut Squares is an amazing versatile treat that can be served hot as a pudding or cold as a cake. The original recipe is based on an old school dinner pudding and used apples, but you can use any fruit you like and I quite often make with strawberries and pineapple. When blackberries are in season, you could make a lovely blackberry and apple pudding with it.
Ingredients – Base
6 oz plain flour
4 oz marg
2 oz sugar
4 oz jam OR lemon curd
1. Cream marg and sugar then add flour to make a shortbread dough.
2. Roll out to fit shallow baking dish.
3. Prick and bake for 10 mins at 170.
4. Soften jam/lemon by beating in a small bowl then spread over the base when cool.
Ingredients – Topping
2.5 oz marg
2.5 oz sugar
1.75 oz semolina powder
3.75 fluid oz milk
3.25 oz desiccated coconut
8oz tinned or fresh apple
1. Cream marg and sugar then mix in coconut, semolina, and milk, then finally the fruit.
2. Spoon in the mix on top of the base
3. Add some more jam to the top and cook for 30-45 mins at 170
(squeezy jams are great for this otherwise lightly spread with a knife )
4. Cut into squares and serve hot or cold
The texture is totally different if you eat it hot or after it’s been chilled. It’s a lovely crumbly comfort pudding when hot but more like a cake bar when cold. Try both!
Substitute different fruits.
Use a dairy free marg – I used Flora Dairy Free and it came out lovely.
Tip – Buy desiccated coconut and semolina in the World Food Aisle of the supermarket as it’s so much cheaper.
Do check out more of my Recipe Section which also includes several Dairy Free and Gluten Free recipes. You may like to try these ideas for breakfast, dinner, and dessert:
Linked up to JibberJabberuk’s monthly cake link-up