I’d love to share my quick apple and blackberry crumble recipe with you today, which is easy to make gluten and dairy free if desired. I’ve also included a couple of variations and tips.
There seems to be an abundance of blackberries in hedgerows all over the south of England this year. We collected a couple of punnets full during our woodland walks this week and have made this lovely crumble. It’s very cheap if you have foraged blackberries, and is a perfect comfort-eat pudding for summer and autumn evenings.
Apple & Blackberry Crumble Recipe
Ingredients for making blackberry and apple crumble:
150g plain flour (I use Doves Farm Gluten Free)
75g margarine (I used Dairy Free)
500g fruit of choice
Method for making apple and blackberry crumble:
- Turn on Oven to 180*
- Sieve flour into a large mixing bowl
- Cut marg into small pieces and rub into the flour with your fingertips
- Add in the sugar and continue to rub until it resembles large breadcrumbs
- Put all your prepared fruit into a large saucepan with a little water and sprinkle with a sugar if necessary. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes to soften. (I skip this step as I prefer my fruit to still have a little crunch.)
- Spoon fruit into a pyrex dish and top with the crumble mix.
- Add to the oven and cook for around 30 mins.
- Serve with a dairy free custard or ice cream (I use Alpro)
You may like to see my other tips and recipes: