This recipe for blackberry muffins is quick and easy to make and can be used with a variety of different fruits. I have made them many times, and have also tried this recipe with apples, pears, strawberries, and blueberries and have used different spices on occasion.
They can be made with regular ingredients, or try using Doves Farm gluten-free flour and Alpro rice milk to give a dairy-free, gluten free option. I’ve also included a chocolate option. All give delicious results.
How to Make Blackberry Muffins
Dry Ingredients for Blackberry Muffins
195 grams (1.5 cups) self raising flour *
(replace approx 30g of flour with cocoa or cacao for chocolate flavour muffins)
150g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or ginger (optional)
Wet Ingredients for Blackberry Muffins
80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
80 m (1/3 cup) milk *
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1.5 of vanilla essence
2+ handfuls of fruit (blackberries, strawberries, apples, pears)
* You may need to add slightly more milk or flour at the end depending on the size of the egg and moisture in the fruit.
Method for Blackberry Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Prepare 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar and spice) in a large bowl or mixer.
- Beat the egg in a jug.
- Add vegetable oil and milk to the egg and beat together.
- Add vanilla extract and blend so that all the wet ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend for a short while in a mixer or by hand with a spatula. Do not over mix. The mixture should be quite thick, so add a splash more of milk or a little more flour if required.
- Stir in the fruit into the mixture. (if you want the fruit to break down into the mixture, whizz it in the mixer for a few seconds.)
- Add to the oven for approximately 20 mins.
- Allow to cool a little, although they are really delicious served warm with a cup of tea.
What else do you make with blackberries?
You may like to try my other blackberry and apple recipes: