This recipe for carrot cake pancakes, made from gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients, is an unusual alternative to traditional pancakes for breakfast or Shrove Tuesday.
INGREDIENTS for Carrot Cake Pancakes
125g plain white flour (gluten-free)
110g grated carrots
1 tablespoon caster sugar or coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger (not essential)
2 teaspoon baking powder
250ml dairy-free milk
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of olive oil
HOW TO MAKE Carrot Cake Pancakes
1. Mix together the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and sugar, then add in the grated carrot.
2. In a separate bowl, stir the oil & milk together then pour into the rest of the mixture and blend until smooth.
3. Preheat saucepan with some oil.
4. Spoon a small amount of the mixture into the centre of the hot pan. Leave it for a minute or so then flip when the edges of the pancake look firm enough.
5. Serve with topping of choice.
There was quite a knack to cooking these as the mixture is thicker than a standard pancake mix and the texture took a bit of getting used to, but they were rather tasty and nice for a change. Of course, you don’t have to use free from ingredients.
If you don’t fancy this, why not try:
If you’re interested in more gluten free breakfast recipes try A Balanced Belly.