I made this rich chocolate superberry cake from a recipe that was originally for a cappuccino cake. Not being a coffee lover, I replaced the coffee flavouring with strawberry yoghurt, and I used a cacao powder with superberry and flax seeds, instead of cocoa powder. I like to kid myself I’m balancing out the bad stuff with healthier ingredients. 😉
It is the lightest, moist most sublime cake I have ever made or tasted. However, it does have a high sugar content so it’s reserved for very special treats.
INGREDIENTS FOR RICH CHOCOLATE SUPERBERRY CAKE
50g cocoa or cacao powder
6 tablespoons of boiling water
3 large eggs
175g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
100g softened butter
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING AND TOPPING
300ml double cream
flavouring – 1-2 tbsp of strawberry yoghurt
A dusting of cocoa or cocao (I used Bioglan cacao with flax and superberries)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line two sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
- Put the cocoa/cacoa powder into a jug and mix in boiling water to form a paste.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in your food processor or mixing bowl.
Add in sifted flour, baking powder and eggs, followed by the milk a little at a time.
Stir in the chocolate paste and mix well until blended together (the mixture will be slightly runny).
- Pour into the two baking tins and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Once cooled, whip up the double cream until firm and mix in your desired flavouring (in this case the yoghurt but a lemon or orange flavouring would be delicious too).
- Use half of the cream mix for the middle filling and add the rest to the top layer of your cake.
- Finish off with a light dusting of cocoa or cacoa with flax and superberries, and top with chopped strawberries.
The original recipe had a coffee filling which was made by mixing 1 tablespoon of instant coffee with 2 tablespoons of boiling water and then stir it into the whipped cream.
You could open this up to any type of liquid flavouring though, lemon or orange would be nice.
Enjoy with family, friends and a big mug of tea!